WHAT I'M ABOUT & WHY...
...thanks for the visit.
I'm Pam (aka aiota).
If you want to find me, there's a good chance that I'm near the water.
Somehow, I seem to always end up near an open body of water in a beautiful place. Currently I'm working from my home office in Vancouver, BC a few hundred meters away from the Burrard Inlet. It's no surprise that I live by the following quote: "The cure for anything is saltwater; sweat, tears, or the sea."
I'm known for my sense of style, insights, and ridiculous onesie collection. People often refer to me as creative, thoughtful, and direct. I love serving the world by admiring and inspiring others - I see you, I see the best in you, and I want you to see that in yourself, as well.
I am so crazy passionate about music, fashion, sexuality, the human condition, my plants, tropical fruits - it never really ends; I am interested in many things and am fascinated by how interconnected it all is. I started shooting when I was 16 years-old on a Pentax K-1000 (holla! all you film photogs out there you know what I'm talking about!) and within two years I had built my own darkroom to develop and print B&W. Fast-forward 15 years, and I am a lifestyle and portrait photographer; shooting mainly boudoir, weddings, and personal projects - though I'm just generally obsessed with image-making. Through photography, I create an experience for others in which they see themselves at their best, most whole, and most expressive self. I am lucky enough to help others (especially women) be part of the conversation that questions gender roles, and I aim to work with those who are willing to explore why women are taught to repress their sexual lives, and why men are taught to repress their emotional lives.
I photograph boudoir, weddings, and lifestyle in and around Vancouver, BC, for people who want to grow themselves, invest in themselves, and of course, who have a great sense of style.
When I'm not busy working you can find me digging through racks at small-town thrift stores, listening to my favourite NPR podcasts, obsessing over design and fashion trends, and enjoying a few (or maybe more...) beers. I am fortunate to have an amazing network of family and friends in my life, including of course my partner Alex who, as cliché as it is, challenges me to be and act my best - he is the best man I know.
If you're dying to hear more, here are five things you might not know about me:
1. My parents owned restaurants my whole life, and I basically grew up alongside them in a restaurant.
2. I love the hard sciences. I feel like I have a personal relationship with numbers.
3. Madonna and Miuccia Prada are my idols - both trailblazers that have changed the world.
4. I can name pretty much any variety of apple. Braeburn? Honeycrisp? Pink lady? Ambrosia? BC Gala vs. Washington Gala? Try me.
5. I am a wicked baker. I got really, really good by failing about 500 times. After all those failures, I can pretty much bake anything with ease. I once made a 9-layer cake that weighed like, 10 pounds, and was 2 feet tall. But I am a terrible cook!